HEY LOOK: Five things on Friday #201
Things of note for the week ending Friday November 4th, 2016.
1. WELL SAID, UNCLE MARTY
What am I referring to? This:
“Facebook can’t really claim that a three-second view when 50% of the time the sound is off is the same as a 15-second, a 30-second, a 60-second TV ad or someone reading a The Times for 40 minutes.”
Aside from the fact that the 50% is closer to 95% (and I’d argue the remaining 5% are the brand marketers playing it with the sound on to ensure that the voiceover artist they paid for actually sounds OK) Sir Martin Sorrell makes a good point. Furthermore, and to build on the chart I shared back in FToF #199 (item 4), I do think we’ll see YouTube begin to take the fight to Facebook in very real terms, when it comes to meaningful metrics regarding video consumption.
With the industry still smarting from Facebook’s recent admission/discovery of its own mis-handling of measurement (funny how these things happen when you mark your own homework) and advertisers slowly beginning to realise that Facebook isn’t everything – 2017 could be YouTube’s year (again).
There’s more to this one to come, I’m sure.
2. CHOOSE LIFE
T2 Trainspotting. The trailer for this long-promised sequel to the seminal Danny Boyle slice of late 90s culture has been all over the web these past few days and, even though I don’t like to share stuff on FTOF that’s been overtly popular throughout the week leading up to publication, I couldn’t help it with this one.
I think this has the potential to be excellent. I really do.
1996 though? Where does the time go?
3. NERD NERD NERD
Please find herein just the right amount of photographs to support the headline of ‘Britain’s Best New Train Stations: In Pictures‘.
Sidenote: image shown isn’t actually of a station. It’s a shopping centre above a station.
4. HUWS AT TEN
Huw Edwards is the news anchor for the BBC News at Ten.
This is not interesting.
What is interesting however is that someone noticed that Huw happens to strike the exact same pose at 10pm, every night.
So of course there’s now a Twitter account dedicated to the damn thing and IT IS A THING OF BEAUTY.
5. DIGITAL TRANSITION AT THE WHITE HOUSE
Whatever happens at the upcoming US election there’s on thing that the incoming President will have to deal with, and that is the new and myriad digital and social channels that President Obama – aka @POTUS – will be leaving behind him.
“President Obama is the first “social media president”: the first to have @POTUS on Twitter, the first to go live on Facebook from the Oval Office, the first to answer questions from citizens on YouTube, the first to use a filter on Snapchat. Over the past eight years, the President, Vice President, First Lady, and the White House have used social media and technology to engage with people around the country and the world on the most important issues of our time (while having some fun along the way).”
Which is all fun and great and stuff but then, how on Earth do you handover the passwords? That’s not even the half of it. What about archiving? Or ensuring that the outgoing President’s contributions to the channels that he appeared on stay there?
“On Twitter, for example, the handle @POTUS will be made available to the 45th President of the United States on January 20, 2017. The account will retain its more than 11 million followers, but start with no tweets on the timeline. @POTUS44, a newly created handle maintained by NARA, will contain all of President Obama’s tweets and will be accessible to the public on Twitter as an archive of President Obama’s use of the account.”
This post, from The Whitehouse’s Deputy Chief Digital Officer, Kori Schulman, outlines exactly the processes that they’ve been working hard at creating for this unique handover of handles they find themselves in.
Bonuses this week are as follows –
- 50 questions that’ll free your mind (not cheesy – genuinely quite good)
- The new Wonder Woman trailer is out and, irrespective of your opinion, this will do for girls and superheroes what 2016 Ghostbusters did for girls and halloween (or something like that – you know what I mean). This is a GOOD THING.
- Do you think Cristiano is trying to tell us something? Lol.
- Anthony Hopkins is ace. If you’re watching Westworld rn (if not, why not? It’s AMAZING) then you’ll get a kick out of this; a decent dissection of one particular excellent scene from a recent episode. Worth watching.
- Apple doesn’t know who the new Mac is for (provocative).
Until next time, fam.
Whatley out x
PS. Found out this week I’m up for ‘social individual of the year‘ at the Social Buzz Awards (thanks you guys). Genuinely have no idea what I’ve done this year to deserve such a nomination so please, go and vote for someone who does.